Sunday, December 9, 2012

Gingerbread houses.....gang style ;)

Since we're now an official homeschooling family, it's my job to make sure that my kids are exposed to all the sticky, messy, chaotic  fun crafts that they would normally get to enjoy in school ;)  And there's no better season for crafts than Christmas!

Enter kid-friendly gingerbread houses.....


Several of the kids have done these in school, so it wasn't hard to come up with the idea.  All you need are some graham crackers, frosting, sprinkles....and a little patience :)


I recommend heading over to Michael's for some decorator icing...it's much stickier than a homemade frosting and perfect for holding all your pieces together.


The boys needed a little help getting their sides put together!


And Sophie was a pro at putting "snow" on the roof ;)


In preparation for our upcoming batches of sugar cookies, I got lots of fun sprinkles....also perfect for mini-gingerbread houses.


And it doesn't hurt to have a whole set of decorating tips for bags of frosting from my cake decorating days!


Caleb liked the sprinkles....


and the icing!


Noah REALLY liked the icing ;)


And here is what we ended up with!  

Caleb's


Noah's


Jacob's 


And Matthew's


The whole village :)



2 comments:

a portland granny said...

Those houses sure bring back memories. I have the original idea torn from Better Homes and Gardens magazine, in my cook book. I've spent many happy hours over the years, making those little gingerbread houses with many special children in my life. Your boys looked like they were having gobs of fun. What a great project!!

Thanks for sharing your darling family with us. We need more family togetherness in this generation and it is so exciting and heartwarming to see all you do together.

Blessings!!

Amanda Sikes said...

Love this idea! We have been doing lots of Christmas stuff too! Check out my blog to see more! Love your blog!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin